Sunday, April 18, 2004

The Top 10 Sequels To Movies That Weren't Any Good In The First Place


The current theatrical release of the sequel THE WHOLE TEN YARDS has baffled critics all over. I mean did anyone really like the original THE WHOLE NINE YARDS? A search on Rottentomatoes.com confirms that the original reviews of the Bruce Willis/Matthew Perry comedy directed by Jonathan Lynn were the definition of mixed - The consensus reported was :

"Despite a charming cast, The Whole Nine Yards could only tickle half of the critics' funny bones. The other half thought it an underwelming, depressing sitcom."

The box office wasn't spectacular either - it did modestly well but was far from what you'd call a smash hit. So why the hell do we have a sequel?!!? Beats me. The idea of a sequel to a bad movie never fails to floor us here at film babble. Edward Callistan who begin his run at film babble by listing the top 100 sequels that should never have been made said "many would argue that in some cases the original movie shouldn't have been made either but that's a whole 'nuther list!" Well here's Ed with that list :

THE TOP TEN SEQUELS TO MOVIES THAT WEREN'T ANY GOOD TO BEGIN WITH

1. SCOOBY DOO 2
2. THE MUMMY RETURNS
3. LOOKING WHO'S TALKING 2
4. TOMB RAIDER 2
5. BAD BOYS 2
6. I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER
7. SCARY MOVIE 2
8. 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS
9. MEATBALLS 2
10. ANALYSE THAT
- Although I hated both THIS and THAT I would like them to make a third one just so they could call it GO ANALYSE YOURSELF ALREADY!

That wasn't too hard. I just had to think back to all the times I reacted to showbiz news by saying "they're making a sequel to THAT?!!?" and I was on my way.

To end on a positive note - my favorite bad sequel title ever is :

BREAKIN' 2 - ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

- Edward Callistan

More later...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...